CTO as a service refers to hiring a Chief Technical Officer when it is necessary, as a part-time or fractional position. CTO is a necessary specialist for startups, growing companies, and any business which has technology as its core. CTO consulting services exist because it is a more flexible and cost-effective way for companies to achieve their business goals. Not every company can afford hiring a full-time expert, especially startups. That’s why they look for providers of CTO as a service.
CTO leads both technical and R&D teams of the company. It is a high-quality professional who is responsible for technical decisions, software development roadmaps, processions, and quality measures.
CTO services for startups and growing businesses are necessary for several situations:
- They have a great idea of an app or technology solution but have no technical expertise to bring it to life
- They need to develop a roadmap, business plan with costs and timeline for development projects
- They have outsourced development project and need a leader who will guide, evaluate, and manage the process
- They need an expert to present their ideas to vendors and investors;
- They want to bring the existing product to new stages and grow the scale of the business
- They require a technical leader that will establish cybersecurity and quality measures for all internal procedures
CTO consultancy is much more accessible and beneficial for many enterprises that cannot or do not want to hire an in-house expert. To make it even more financially beneficial, many companies choose to hire a virtual CTO on a remote basis.
Typical CTO Tech Services and Responsibilities
The particular responsibilities of the Chief Technical Officer depend on the company’s goals and business niche. Such an expert acts both as a responsible executive for internal tech and R&D departments as well as represents it to vendors and investments externally. Common CIO CTO R&D services include the following:
- Defining both long-term and short-term tech strategy of the enterprise.
- Management of R&D and maintaining industry standards and policies.
- Project Management and Delivery. CTO can design architecture and manage all stages of planning, developing, testing, and implementing a technology solution.
- Technology integration and analysis. Such an expert can integrate new more efficient technologies into the company’s workflow. He can also analyze the efficiency of existing processes and propose improvements.
- Solution determinations. Setting goals and quality measures and as well as development and testing standards for a particular solution. CTO advisory services cover responsibility for all the technology-related processes of a company.
- Technology roadmap. Setting goals, priorities, and terms of achievements for the future. Designing and scaling the company’s growth, including cloud solutions.
Outsourced CTO services also cover the leadership of the developing team and help in hiring experienced programmers to fulfill the project requirements.
Different Types of CTO Services
The main benefit of remote or virtual CTO services lies in its flexibility and affordability even for small startups. When it comes to CaaS, there are four main types of cooperation with such an expert. These types are:
- Full-time position. This is a traditional model when a business hires a full-time in-house expert to manage all processes. Although it is necessary for the later stages of the company’s growth, many small and medium-size entities do not have the possibility to hire a full-time CTO;
- Part-time position. In this model, an expert serves all responsibilities and tasks of CTO but only for part-time specifically defined in the contract. It is more affordable and gives access to high-profile experts on limited periods;
- The fractional model. It refers to hiring an expert to deal only with particular tasks and processes of a company. Fractional CTO services mean that an expert takes responsibility only for defined areas that need qualified expertise.
- The interim model. It refers to CTO fulfillment services when a specialist is working for a company during the transitional period when they are looking for a new full-time CTO. The main goal of the interim model is to keep all processes and tasks on the necessary level while the permanent position is not filled.
Tips and Tricks on Finding a Reliable CTO Services Provider
Whether you are looking for CTO security services or specifically Amazon web services CTO, the hiring process is the same. You need to find the most credible expert with knowledge and experience in technologies your company is evolved with. Here are several things to pay attention to while choosing such a provider:
- Communication skills. CTO is not only responsible for processes, he also manages internal tech and R&D teams as well as presents the company’s strategy for vendors and investors. Strong communication skills are essential.
- Shared vision and goals for the company’s development. A specialist should have similar business values and be aligned with your purposes.
- Forward-thinking and knowledge of all new and emerging technologies. CTO should be on top of the news and be ready to integrate and implement new processes into the company’s work.
- Experience in technical and leadership positions. Starting from a developer, senior, system architect, etc. CTO should know all the crucial parts of the development processes.
- Decision making. CTO needs to evaluate the company’s assets and systems, propose possible improvements but with a realistic and practical approach. It is all about finding a balance.
- Strategy. An expert should be capable of creating long-term strategies, setting goals, and predicting future developments.
- Recommendations. Never underestimate the recommendations and previous projects of such professionals. Look at what their other clients have to say about their work.
Consider Ukraine for Hiring a Remote CTO
Remote CTO services are a great opportunity to access top-notch experts at a reasonable price. It is common knowledge that salaries for IT specialists differ from country to country, whether you are looking for CTO Google cloud services or CTO particularly skilled in AWS.
One of the top choices to look for high-profile experts abroad is Ukraine. It has developed IT infrastructure and many excellent professionals that work for international companies. Ukraine is known for its affordable salaries as in comparison to the US and the EU employees. It is also a huge outsourcing hub that powers many enterprises from all parts of the world.
Ukraine is a great destination for CTO search as it has many companies that specialize in IT outstaffing. They are experienced in the provision of CTO services for various international businesses. They give the opportunity to achieve business goals, grow a company, and develop new products efficiently and at a flexible schedule. Here you can find a perfect professional that shares your business values and can bring success to your company.